Friday, June 19, 2009

Understanding motives of the heart

This was the topic of the first week of Bible Study for the summer. We spent extensive hours listening to sermons and studying the Bible about the heart and Rev. Min Chung's heart motive theories.. it was tiring yet awesome. A few things I've learn this time that's worth mentioning... 

1) Heart Motives open our eyes to Total Depravity - that all that we do are tainted with our selfish motives, that our righteousness, to our Holy God, is just like filthy rags... (Isa 64:6).. thus, Calvinism. But more than making us depress over our own sinfulness, it drives us to repentance, and true  repentance brings us to obedience to change. If we do not fight to change, there's no point in learning this whole heart motive thing.

2) It is so easy to try to manipulate others using heart motives... But maybe feeding the heart motives to make others feel loved isn't really a horrible thing either? I'm not sure. 

3) maybe there's not really "a few" things that I've learned after all? I'm just thankful for the Summer BS because I get to choose my own topic and prepare the studies (which I enjoy tremendously) and I LOVE those ladies.. 

Apart from Bible Study, I don't think I can really tell you what I've been up to these days.. because I'm not really sure.. 

You know the feeling when you REALLY want to do something, but you feel guilty doing it, but it's not necessarily a bad thing either, you're just not really sure? ... yup... that's what I'm feeling right now.. 

1 comment:

  1. for number 2... maybe not a bad thing... more so like knowing someone else's heart motive allows us to better understand them and to respond to them as well in a way they can feel valued? and also to work together to like advance God's kingdom? all in the right mindset though in redeeming our heart motives to make our motive God rather than ourselves.

    i read that over... and i don't think it makes sense to me... -___-

    ReplyDelete